Better Markets is a high-profile, non-partisan financial reform non-profit organization that seeks an experienced, highly engaged, and dynamic junior-level attorney. The ideal candidate will assist us in all aspects of our work, including analyzing regulatory proposals and researching and drafting comment letters, amicus briefs, reports, and related matters. In this position, the candidate will have the opportunity to work on important and interesting matters under the supervision of the Legal Director and Securities Specialist and will work with others, including the CEO (a former partner at Skadden, Arps) on a variety of projects primarily focused on financial rulemaking at the financial regulatory agencies.
Better Markets promotes the public interest in the financial and economic systems in the U.S. and globally. With the goal of promoting the economic security, opportunity, and prosperity of the American people, we advocate for transparency, accountability, and oversight in the financial markets through a variety of activities. Following a comprehensive, substantive approach (guided by our Arc of AdvocacyTM), we engage throughout the entire rulemaking process, from filing comment letters on proposed rules to participating in litigation involving challenges to final rules. We also prepare in-depth research reports, engage in public education and activation, and pursue advocacy through all media channels.
- Conduct legal research relating to securities, commodities, and banking law; administrative law, particularly the Administrative Procedure Act; appellate practice and amicus participation; legislative history; and other topics;
- Conduct general research relating to regulation, focused on financial regulation;
- Draft comment letters, legal briefs, motions, fact sheets, and reports;
- Monitor court dockets and digest and organize court filings;
- Proofread, Shepardize, cite-check, and file documents;
- Monitor financial developments in the regulatory, congressional, and executive arenas; and
- Perform other tasks in support of our mission as assigned.
- A J.D. degree, with at least 1-3 years of experience;
- Excellent legal research, writing, and oral communication skills;
- Proficiency in use of Westlaw, CourtLink, PACER, Word, and Excel;
- A basic understanding of securities, commodities, banking, and regulatory law;
- A strong work ethic and high standards;
- An ability to work cooperatively with others in a small team environment;
- Familiarity with financial regulation a plus;
- Experience in appellate advocacy or on a law review or similar publishing or editing experience is desirable; and
- A good sense of humor and a passion for the public interest is essential.
Salary & Benefits:
Competitive salary dependent upon qualifications and experience. Excellent benefit package including no monthly contribution health insurance (dental and vision included), 401K with 5% annual employer contribution, tax-deferred flexible spending accounts, phone allowance and commuter benefits, and paid membership to the in-building fitness center.
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Better Markets is an equal opportunity employer.
Downtown, Washington, D.C. conveniently close to Red, Blue, Silver, and Orange line stations at Farragut North and Farragut West. A remote option for exemplary candidates in other locations will be considered. (Currently we are mostly working remotely until COVID-related limitations permit an appropriate return to our offices.)